“DIY or PSE (Pay Someone Else)”
Homeowners – “Well, I can just paint myself.” This is absolutely true, without any physical restrictions most homeowners can paint themselves. Most homeowners can learn how to manage their retirement accounts, but yet we trust our financial advisor to handle that. Most homeowners can learn how to change the oil on their vehicles, but yet we trust our local mechanic to handle that. Most homeowners can learn how to install new faucets in the sink, but yet we hire a plumber to handle that for us. Painting seems like a relatively innocuous task, but is it truly something that we should be “doing ourselves”?
- Reason #1 – Volume of Work
- The average homeowner will buy 5 homes in their LIFETIME. Most medium sized painting companies paint 6-10 homes per MONTH. We know what to look for to make sure that we are taking all factors into account. If a homeowner encounters a problem, they have diagnose the issue, do research, make a few calls to family or friends. Painters will have a solution immediately as there are few situations at this point that are foreign to us.
- Reason #2 – It’s Not As Easy As It Looks
- Let’s be completely transparent, a homeowner will not be as good at painting as a professional painter. Painting takes practice, attention to detail and an irrational amount of patience. We are not all cut out for painting, a painter may make painting look easy but I can assure you that is not the case.
- Reason #3 – It Will Take you MUCH Longer
- Our average paint job lasts one week, 5 Days of Labor for a 2-3 Man Crew. That equates to 10-15 DAYS of work for a single homeowner or 2-3 months of weekends. Your time is valuable and you should consider this before you take on a project that may consume all of your free time for 2-3 months.
Before you decide to DIY, consider your options to PSE. As you can see, it is not always as easy as it seems. Allow Affinity Painting the opportunity to DIFY (Do It For You).
By: Zachary Brothers